Dreamscapes, La Mer I
The Dreamscapes Series were inspired by my travels to the Mediterranean coastal towns of Spain. I found that photographing in the impressionistic style causes the viewer to see the entire image with its palette of colors, form & light creating a mood, an emotion. I want to convey to the viewer that the world we see in front of us is part of a larger reality and what appears to be clear and in focus is only our perception.
Cheryl Maeder, through her non-traditional experimentation, has developed an identifiable, idiosyncratic and dream-like approach in her work. Maeder utilizes her camera as a precision instrument to replace the traditional tools of an artist’s studio, such as brushes and paint. Maeder focuses her camera instead on the otherworldliness between reality and the abstract. In her anonymous world, faces and bodies seem to melt into the subliminal.
- Permanent Collection Frost Museum, Miami & Coral Springs Museum of Art
- Exhibition at The Louvre Museum, Paris
- Solo Exhibition Miami International Airport Sept. 2016
- PBS, Filmmaker Project: featured Filmmaker, Funded by
National Endowment of the Arts
- Selected by Art Miami/Art Southampton to represent Art Southampton 2015 Worldwide Media Campaign
- Public Art Installation Celestial Babies for City of West Palm Beach
- Auctioned at Sothebys New York
- Exhibited at major art fairs worldwide including Art Miami, Scope NY, Art Toronto, Art London and Art Shanghai
- Video Installation, Submerge, Canvas Outdoor Museum, Public Art Installation, City of West Palm Beach.
- Video Installation, Play, Best of Show, Palm Beach Cultural Council Biennial 2015, Juror Elisabeth Sobieski, Art Critic, Huffington Post