Dreamscapes, La Mer I
The Dreamscapes Series were inspired by my travels to the Mediterranean coastal towns of Spain. I found that photographing in the impressionistic style causes the viewer to see the entire image with its palette of colors, form & light creating a mood, an emotion. I want to convey to the viewer that the world we see in front of us is part of a larger reality and what appears to be clear and in focus is only our perception.
Cheryl Maeder is a Fine Art Photographer and Video Installation Artist.
The core of her work has always been about “connection”; the innate connection to the self, each other and to all other life forms on this planet. We not separate from nature. We are nature, the environment and the infinite universe.
Maeder was born in Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA, and in her early 20s moved to Zurich, Switzerland, where she studied photography at the Zurich University of the Arts. After 8 years in Switzerland, she returned to United States and opened her photography studio in San Francisco, where she photographed international advertising and fashion campaigns. She transitioned from photographing fashion models to photographing real women, to celebrate the beauty of women in all shapes and sizes. Her photography work became the inspiration for the Dove Campaign on Real Women, Real Beauty- which transformed the way women are viewed in the global media. In 2005, Maeder relocated her studio to the Miami area and deeply immersed herself into fine art photography and filmmaking.
While the foundation of Maeder’s work is photography, investigations into video and large-scale installations have expanded her visual world. By immersing herself into the world of new technologies and shifting between the mediums, new opportunities for rewarding and creative collaborations have occurred for large-scale installations.
• Permanent Collection Frost Museum, Miami & Coral Springs Museum of Art
• The Louvre Museum, Paris, Group Exhibition
• Museum of Contemporary Art, Rome, Italy, Miami New Media Film Festival, Public Art Platform, Art & Technology, Curated Thesis on Water, Climate Change & Communities Traveling Group Exhibition (Bogota, Caracas, Valencia, Miami, Santo Domingo, San Nicolas & Rome)
• Montefiore Medical Center, Radiation & Oncology Dept., Permanent Collection
• Solo Exhibition Miami International Airport Sept. 2016-2017
• PBS, Filmmaker Project: featured Filmmaker, funded by
National Endowment for the Arts
• Submerge, Public Art Video Installation, City of West Palm Beach, Canvas Outdoor Museum
• Auctioned at Sothebys New York
• Exhibited at major art fairs worldwide including Art Miami, Scope NY, Art Toronto, Art London and Art Shanghai